W R Midwinter Ltd.,
Albion and Hadderidge Potteries, Burslem; 1910 -
Was established in 1910, when, after fourteen years spent with the Royal Doulton Potteries at Burslem, W. R. Midwinter founded his own small pottery at Bourne's Bank. Already trained in manufacturing and sales techniques he first turned his attention to the making of 'Rockingham' teapots, tea and toilet wares. Surmounting the difficulties that come with beginning a company with little capital and minimal
equipment, he was actually able to expand his efforts by the year 1918. In that year he acquired the Albion Pottery and, a little later, another pottery which also made tea and toilet wares.
Although the firm is chiefly noted for its tea, dinner and other table wares it also has an ever increasing output of animal figures and 'Fancies'. Specialties in their table ware lines are the traditional printed patterns; landscapes, rural England and 'Roger', which is of late
eighteenth-century origin. As well as both over and under glaze decorative patterns, simple and ornate, with traditional gold edging. At the present time something near a hundred running patterns are made. At the same time a more modern trend is seen in their 'Stylecraft' table ware, in white semi-porcelain with crystalline glaze which will not crack. It has no sharp corners and no crevices to harbor dust. Its handles are easily grasped.
One area where the factory did excel was in the production of nursery ware, employing the designer William Heath Robinson. He designed a series of nursery ware with unusual patterns and these items are rare and sought after.
In the 1950's and 1960's this company was very prolific in their production of tableware that went under the names of "Porcelon" "Peggy Gibbons", Nursery Ware; "Stylecraft",
"Fashion", "Midwinter Melmex", "Midwinter" Fine Table Ware.
Allman, Broughton & Co ( Mark- Printed or impressed marks often with the pattern name
A B & Co
WEDGWOOD PLACE BURSLEM)
Burslem, Staffordshire 1861 - 1868
Took over the works from Morgan, Wood & Co
Subsequently Robinson, Kirkham & Co
G. L. Ashworth & Bros (Ltd) - (Initials used on ware for identification)
G. L. A. & Bros
British Coat of Arms used after 1862
Use of "England" after 1891
Crown and ribbon with initials is also a common early mark)
Hanley, Staffordshire 1862 - 1968
George Ashworth became a partner of Francis Morley (Morley & Ashworth) at Broad Street in 1859 but soon after bought out Morley's interest and brought in his brother's. They were most famous for their reproductions of Masons Ironstones, which they started producing after purchasing the molds and copperplates when Charles James Mason closed his pottery. They also used the Mason's backstamp on some of these wares. The factory
also produced new patterns in ironstone and earthenware including Asiatic Pheasant and hotelware.
The company was renamed in 1968 as the Mason's Ironstone China Ltd and continued in production under this name.
Was the most popular dinnerware pattern of the Victorian era; its principal production
and popularity virtually coinciding with the reign of Queen Victoria (1838-1901) and such is its enduring charm that it is still produced in Staffordshire today, although in a much darker and, according to some, less attractive form.
Asiatic Pheasant is similar to the Willow pattern but tends to be lighter in color. Also, because demand was so high, quality sometimes suffered.
The mark will say "Asiatic Pheasant" and will have the initials or name of the
manufacturing company in the mark. The pattern name will sometimes be included too.
Quite a few companies produced this pattern.
Barker Bros. 1876 - circa 1960 (Mark impressed initials BB c.1876 - c.1900. In a variety of designs on older wares.)
Other marks used were:
ROYAL TUDOR WARE (occurs after 1937)
BONE WHITE IRONSTONE
"LTD" occurs on many marks (but not all) from 1901 onwards.
"MEIR WORKS", "MEIR CHINA", "MEIR WARE" generally occurs after 1912 but before 1937.
From 1876 to 1880/82 at Gold Street, Longton and then at the Meir Works, Baker Street, Longton.
Became Ltd. Company in 1900 and continued to produce pottery.
Later became part of Alfred Clough Ltd
British Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd. (Marks used: B A P C LTD)
Other marks and backstamps used:
REGENCY [introduced 1952+]
MONTMARTRE WARE [introduced 1954+]
RICHMOND [introduced 1958+]
HOSTESS TABLE WARE [introduced 1961+]
TRIANON WARE [introduced 1961+]
often a crown is used - associated with the name "BRITISH ANCHOR"
Blackhurst & Bourne ( mark B&B often includes the pattern name and various decorative elements)
Burslem, Staffordshire, Hadderidge Pottery; 1880 - 1892
Blackhust had previously been in partnership with Heath (Heath & Blackhurst) from 1859 - 1879 and another short lived partnership, with Tunnicliffe in 1879, before joining with Bourne in 1880.
Bourne afterwards formed a Ltd company with Leigh as Bourne & Leigh (1892-1941) and took over the Albion and Leighton Works in Burslem.
Barkers & Kent (Ltd) (Mark used: B & K)
[initials used with standard printed mark 1889-1898]
Other marks or backstamps used:
B & K L
B & K Ltd
["L" or "Ltd" was added from 1898]
The company specialized in Earthen wares.
Closed in 1941 for the war and never reopened.
Burgess & Leigh (Ltd)
Burslem, Staffordshire, 1862 - 1999
Burslem, Staffs 1867 & Booth 1862 - 1867
Burslem, Staffs Burgess & Leigh
Burgess, Leigh & Co 1867 - 1889
Middleport Pottery, Burslem,
Staffs Burgess & Leigh (Ltd)
Burgess, Dorling and Leigh Ltd 1889 - 2001??
Throughout this early period of the business, Burgess & Leigh purchased molds and pattern engravings from other businesses when they would close. Two businesses of particular note were those of Samuel Alcock 1859 and John Davenport & Son 1887. Molds first used by these two firms are still used today in the production of Burleigh Ware.
In 1919 the business became a private limited company, the name being changed to Burgess & Leigh Ltd. They moved to the Middleport works in 1889.
The late 1920s - 1939 years were an extremely productive period for the company. Prior to the outbreak of war in 1939 there were around 500 workers employed at the Pottery.
Between the wars brought the launch of the Burleigh trademark in 1930 and the company
produced contemporary Art Deco designs employing several famous designers of the time.
The team of designers and modeler's were probably the most talented and innovative in the industry. Charlotte Rhead worked at the factory from 1926 until 1931 and produced many of her finest "tubelined" designs. Harold Bennett an established and accomplished water color artist, produced many wonderful pieces of art that were applied to the tableware line.
The company survived the post war decline in pottery production avoiding being swallowed by larger competitors up until the 1990s when the company went into a gradual decline, they went into receivership in 1999. At this point they continued as Burgess, Dorling and Leigh.
Burgess, Dorling and Leigh Ltd. revived the business largely by bringing back Victorian patterns and styles using the traditional methods of production. Calico like patterns were a big seller.
This company is still under family management and is one of the few that are still held by the family.
Brownhills Pottery Co (Marks used: B P Co )
Tunstall, Staffordshire, 1872 - 1896
Brownhills Pottery, specializing in Earthen wares
The pottery was taken over by Salt Bros 1897 - 1904
Absorbed by Thomas Till & Son 1904
A. G. Richardson & Co. Ltd Tunstall and Cobrdge 1915 - 1934
Their earliest home was the Gordon Pottery, Tunstall, where they continued until 1934, expanding their lines after a very short period as business increased. From the very beginning, the British market received their products with accolades and it was not long
before the overseas markets came to appreciate them as well. In 1921 the first notable stride in their progress was the introduction of aerographed, plain colored tea wares, from which they went on to develop a high class trade in dinner and other table wares of the same type.
At the present time Crown Ducal wares include also breakfast, coffee, morning and dessert sets, as well as a range of 'fancies'.
In 1934 Britannia Pottery, Cobridge, was acquired.
mark "Bristol" Crown Ducal England A G R
(note: these initials were also used by Albert G Richardson of the Regal Pottery, Cobridge)
There is also an Albert G Richardson (marks - A G R)
c1920 - 1921
Bovey Tracey Pottery Co (B T P Co )
Bovey Tracey, Devonshire, 1842 - 1894
Founded in an established pottery the Bovey Tracey Pottery Co, was originally a partnership between Messrs Buller and Divett . The relative isolation of Devon and the West country allowed this company to flourish with a good local market, They used many of the standard patterns including "Willow" and "Asiatic Pheasants".
Floated as the Bovey Pottery Co. Ltd company in 1894 and remained a flourishing concern until their demise in 1957
Brownfields Guild Pottery Society Ltd. 1891 - 1900
Initials used on ware for identification:
W Brownfield & Son
Manufacturers of earthenware and porcelain (the latter from 1871) at Cobridge.
"& Son" added from 1871. Previously was Wood & Brownfield (1841 - 1850) but Wood
died and Brownfield brought in his sons.
Initials used on ware for identification:
W & B, WB or W B & S often in addition to the name of the pattern various decorations and maybe other text.
The impressed mark is the Staffordshire knot enclosing the initials WB. The name BROWNFIELD was also employed impressed into the body.
Staffordshire Brownfields Pottery Ltd 1898 - 1900
Originally working in earthenwares the Brownfields Pottery was opened in 1838 and continued in production right through to the new century. When William Brownfields first son became a partner in 1871 the companies product range changed and porcelains were used.
C & E Cartwright & Edwards Longton Staffs 1857 or 1858 - 1987
Cartwright & Edwards (Ltd)
Recorded as being founded in 1858 in Warren Street, Longton before occupying the newly built Borough Pottery in 1869. The company originally crafted earthenwares and later in the 20th century bone china.
Added Ltd to their mark in 1926.
Became part of Alfred Clough Ltd from 1955.
Subsequently sold to the Colorall Ceramics Group in 1987
Initials and marks used on ware for identification:
C & E
C & E Ltd
[ "LTD" added to the mark c.1926+]
[trade name, introduced c.1926+]
[trade name, introduced c.1936+]
[trade name, introduced c.1912+]
The C & E mark was also used by Cork & Edge of Burslem
C& F and C&F G Cochran & Fleming Glasgow Scotland 1896-1920
Took over the Brittannia Pottery from R.Cochran & Co in 1896 and specializing in earthenwares.
Factory taken over by Brittannia Pottery Co Ltd in 1920
C H Co Hanley China Co. Ltd
Hanley Staffs 1899 or 1900 - 1901
This was a short lived company in business for just two years having taken over the works
from the Hanley Porcelain Co 1892-1899 (mark H P Co.) they succeeded Thomas Bevington (1877-91).
Marks and Backstamps used:
H C Co
C P Co and C.P CO G Clyde Pottery Co Greenock Scotland 1814-1907
In 1814, Greenock businessmen James and Andrew Muir launched a pottery business under the name of the Clyde Pottery Company. Their pottery works opened in 1816. Although the company changed ownership several times, the works remained in operation until 1907. Sometimes added Ltd to their marks between 1857 and 1863.
C T M C.T.Maling Newcastle-upon-Tyne Northumberland 1762-1890
The Maling family were synonymous with Tyneside pottery from 1762, William Maling established the North Hylton Pottery in Sunderland with his two sons, Christopher and John.
In 1817 Johns' son Robert moved to a new works established at the Ousebourne Pottery
in Newcastle. These Maling potteries worked in earthenwares largely unmarked and were noted for their lustre wares and Gaudy Welsh patterns they also produced a modest amount of transferware pieces. Quality was not really an issue as it was common to find fingerprints in the finished product and transferware pieces are often offset or you can see a "tear" mark.
Christopher T.Maling was the son and successor to Robert Maling at the Ousebourne
Pottery, this factory was relatively small and he commissioned the building of the first Ford Pottery which opened in 1859.
The opening of the first Ford Pottery and continued working in earthenware, brought a huge expansion in the production of jugs, jars and bottles for the grocery and retail trades as well as for domestic use but they also supplied the local market with their dinner wares and used many of the common patterns including "Willow" and "Asiatic
The company's success required the building of the second Ford Pottery which opened in 1879. Maling produced wares to commemorate royal occasions in the early 1900's.
1908 saw the introduction of the new range of 'Cetem' Ware. The name may have been introduced to distinguish these 'superior semi-porcelain' toilet and table wares from the packaging goods with which the name Maling had become associated.
The Maling name was reintroduced in 1924, and ran in parallel with Cetem until the early 1930s, when the Cetem name was dropped.
In 1928, Maling began their association with Ringtons door-to-door tea merchants of Newcastle. This continued to 1962.
In 1937 the last of the 3 sons died and then came the war. The company began production of whiteware for the war effort such as invalid feeders.
The company struggled for many years and finally closed their doors in 1963 selling their copper plates for scrap.
In 1890 the firm was restyled C.T.Maling & Sons later floating as a Ltd company and continued in production until their closure in July 1963.
The impressed mark MALING was employed by all of the Maling potteries up to 1890, and in the earlier firms an impressed M was also used.
The earliest printed marks used the initials R.M. but printed marks were used more frequently by the C.T.Maling period and this firm adopted the C.T.M. or cetem mark.
Impressed mark c1800 to 1890 C.T.M.
various other marks
good info in Maling China http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/6544/history.html
E B & J E L Bourne & Leigh Ltd Burslem 1892-1941
Albion & Leighton Potteries, Burslem,
Earthenware manufacturer at the Albion and Leighton Potteries,
Previously Bourne was in partnership as Blackhurst & Bourne (1880-92) at the Hadderidge Pottery Burslem.
Subsequently continued as Leighton Pottery Ltd (c.1940-54)
Other Initial forms used
B & L
E.B. & J.E.L.
E & C C E & C Challinor; Fenton Staffs 1862-1891
Edward Challinor had been operating from the Fenton Pottery from 1853 as E. Challinor & Co. It is likely that these works were owned by the coal master, Charles Challinor with whom Edward joined in partnership in 1862 to produce a wider range of domestic wares expanding from earthenwares into ironstones. Charles Challinor had many financial
interests in the district of Fenton. The partnership was eventually dissolved and the business carried on as C.Challinor & Co for only another 4 years.
Previously: E. Challinor & Co (1843-62)
Subsequently: C. Challinor & Co (1892-6)
E & C C
E & C CHALLINOR
J T Fell and Co (Longton) Ltd
Longton ; 1920/3 - 1957
Earthenware manufacturer at the "Cyples Old Pottery", Longton.
Prior to J T Fell the works were operated by G L Bentley & Co (1898 - 1912
Marks; G L B & Co
MADE BY CYPLES
Thomas Fell & Co
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland 1817 - 1890
St. Peter's Pottery
Famous Newcastle pottery firm supplying the North-east of England and the Baltic Trade with their domestic dinnerware. They produced some flow blue and ironstone pieces. From what I understand not all pieces are marked and some pieces can be rather crude.
Thomas Fell, St. Peter's Pottery, Newcastle-on-Tyne (1817-1830), Thomas Fell & Co., (1830-1869), Thomas Fell & Co. Ltd., (1869-1890)
Mark - FELL, FELL CO., FELL LTD.
G. L. Ashworth & Bros (Ltd)
Hanley, Staffordshire 1861 - 1968
Miles Mason, after a romantic career as a merchant of Oriental china in Fenchurch Street, London, he abandoned this trade and turned to the manufacture of pottery. He spent
four years experimenting at Liverpool with Thomas Wolfe and then started to produce hard porcelain and, later, bone china at a factory in Fenton, later known as the Victoria works. In 1807 he took over the Minerva Works where, with his son William, he made porcelain and bone china until his retirement in 1813.
His endeavors to produce a hard ceramic body resulted in the famous Ironstone China,
for which Charles James Mason took out a patent in 1813. It was said to consist of slag of ironstone, flint, Cornwall stone and clay and to this new body C. J. Mason added rich and striking decoration which helped greatly to make it popular. He and his brother, George Miles Mason became immediately prosperous and acquired great wealth. Later C. J. Mason took as a partner Samuel B. Faraday and the business continued to flourish until
the Faraday's death in 1844 – after which the factory declined and eventually closed in 1848.
This is when Francis Morley bought all of the molds and patterns that had belonged to the firm and carried on the Mason tradition. It was in Morley's time, 1857, that he was joined by the young Taylor Ashworth, who, after learning the craft, became a partner.
Morley's health was failing and he retired in 1863, whereupon George Ashworth bought
the business for his sons. It has traded under the name Geo. L. Ashworth and Brothers ever since. The head of the firm was George Leach Ashworth, other brothers being James and Taylor Ashworth.
The latter was instrumental in extending the scope of the business and, in addition to table ware and kitchen utensils, chemical goods, sanitary wares and electrical insulators were produced. His reign as Director lasted twenty-four years, when, so far as the
Ashworth family were concerned, it suddenly ended in 1883, for the brothers were deeply involved in the collapse of the Lancashire woolen trade. The company was bought up by J. H. Goddard for his son J. Shaw Goddard.
The Goddards came to the business with experience in a pottery factory as well as colliery owners and the business continued to prosper. In 1914 it was formed into a limited liability company under J. S. Goddard, who retired in 1920. The firm was then absorbed
for a time in the Cauldon combine, but John Vivian Goddard subsequently bought it back and ever since it has remained under his direction, as Managing Director, to carry on the long tradition it has inherited, not only from the Ashworths but also from the Masons of Ironstone China fame.
Previously: Morley & Ashworth (1859 - 1862)
Subsequently: Mason's Ironstone China (1968 - )
Other marks and backstamps;
G. L. A. & Bros.
Heath & Blackhurst
Heath, Blackhurst & Co
Burslem, Staffordshire 1859 - 1879
Earthenware manufacturers at the Hadderidge Pottery, Burslem.
Also listed in records as Heath Blackhurst & Co (probably this name used in the 1860's).
They produced middle-class quality earthenware, plain and decorated. In this class, all the usual table, toilet, tea and other services and a variety of other articles were made.
Formerly:- Heath & Tunnicliffe (pre 1859)
Subsequently:- Blackhurst & Tunnicliffe (1879)
Blackhurst & Bourne :- (1880 - 1892) Bourne later formed part of Bourne and Leigh (1892 - 1941)
H & B
H B & Co
mark used 1859 - c1865
Garter Mark often used
Holdcroft, Hill & Mellor
Burslem, Staffordshire 1860 - 1870
High St. Pottery,
Queen St. Pottery,
Few records relate to this company who were known to be working in earthenware, they probably rented their facilities. They made some transfer ware pieces.
Hollinshead & Kirkham
Burslem & Tunstall, Staffordshire 1870 - 1956
Unicorn Pottery, Great Woodland Street
Located in Burslem then moved to Tunstall, they took over the Unicorn Pottery from Wedgwood & Co in 1890. The factory was purchased by Johnson Bros (Hanley) Ltd in 1956
Clarice Cliff was a lithographer at Hollinshead & Kirkham for 3 years, she attended evening classes in Tunstall and at the age of 17 went to work for A. J. Wilkinson.
Marks and backstamps used:
H & K
H & K
TUNSTALL (initials used with impressed or printed marks of various designs)
H & K
(impressed mark dating from c.1890 when Wedgwood & Co's Unicorn Pottery was taken over .. used until around 1900)
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1872 - 1883
After the Knapper & Blackhurst partnership was dissolved in 1871, Jabez Blackhurst continued to produce earthenware at the Boston Works until 1883.
Also listed as Blackhurst & Co in Sandyford in 1867. It could be that he was working at two different facilities.
Marked with full name and name of pattern
John Carr & Sons
North Shields, Northumberland 1845 - 1900
Low Lights Pottery
Famous Nothumberland pottery working throughout the 19th century producing domestic earthenware for the North East England market and the Baltic trade.
Marks will have various styles with text including initials... & Co from 1850, & Son from 1854 and & Sons till close.
J F Wileman
Fenton, Staffordshire 1869 - 1892
Foley China works,
Family business founded by Henry Wileman and carried on by his sons James and Charles
at the Foley China Works from 1864. The firm worked in earthenware and in china. They restyled their wares when they became Wileman & Co in 1892 and built a second factory to produce a finer china. They were able to lure James B. Shelley away from Dresden to serve as a traveling salesman for the new fine china ware. Thus began the production of the famous Shelley China sometime in the late 1870's. The best china painters and
designers of the time were brought in such as Roland Morris, Walter Slater and his son Eric, Hilda Cowham and Mabel Lucy Attwell. Frederick Rhead came to work as art director. About 1910, Shelley got into a legal battle with other potteries about the use of the name Foley (the pottery region). Shelley lost and decided to rename his pottery "Shelley" that became official in 1925.
During the war the earthenware side was closed but the fine china production would
continue for export. Late in the war, about 1945, Shelley began producing its best bone china for export and its reputation abroad continued to rise. The company peaked in the 1950's, small companies could not compete with the large modernized companies. In 1966 Allied Potteries bought the company even though excess inventory continued to be sold with the Shelley label until stock was depleted.
J F W
John Meir & Son
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1837 - 1897
Another of the Staffordshire family businesses which survived virtually the whole of the 19th century. Founded by John Meir at the Greengates Pottery in 1812-1836. He took his son into partnership in 1837. Worked in good quality earthenware and ironstone
producing many transfer ware patterns.
Other marks and backstamps used:
J. M. & S
I. M & S
J. M. & SON
J. MEIR & SON
JOHN MEIR & SON
MEIR & SON
NOTE: "IM" is sometimes used instead of "JM"
These initials are incorporated in
printed marks - often including the name of the pattern
On some ware there is an impressed mark which gives the date manufactured.....
11 76 ... for November 1876
"ENGLAND" appears on marks from c.1890
John Tams & Sons Ltd
Longton, Staffordshire 1875 - still in production
John Tams was apprenticed to a working potter. About 1865 he entered into partnership with Lowe, manufacturing in St. Gregory's Pottery, High Street, Longton. The partnership
was dissolved about 1873 and in 1874 John Tams bought the Crown pottery. At first he specialized in the manufacturing of imperial measured ware, mugs, jugs, etc., for hotels and public houses. The increased use of glass and further government regulations forced him to develop new lines of wares, including ornamental and general earthenware.
The son entered the partnership in 1903 and the company floated as a Ltd Co in 1912.
They went into receivorship in 2000 and are now known as Tams Group Ltd
Other Marks and Backstamps used:
the name of the pattern is often included.
J T & S
from 1903 to 1912 the firms title was JOHN TAMS & SON
from 1912 firm retitled to JOHN TAMS LTD
various marks both impressed and printed incorporate
the words TAMS ENGLAND
NANKIN WARE - c.1913+
TAMS WARE - c.1930+
ELEPHANT BRAND, VITRIFIED HOTELWARE - c.1952+
Top-o-the-World PRODUCTS - c.1955+
TAMS REGENT - c.1958+
CHININE - c.1960+
many everyday ware are impressed or printed with the
words "TAMS ENGLAND"
Keeling & Co
Burslem, Staffordshire 1886 - 1936
Dale Hall Works,
Makers of the popular range of "Losol" wares launched in 1912 this company took over
the Dale Hall works in Burslem from James Gildea in their second year of trading around 1885 - 1887.
Marks and backstamps used:
K & CO
K & CO B
& K CO
Trade marks include "LATE MAYERS", "LOSOL" and "LOSOL WARE"
"England" was added to some marks after 1891 and "Ltd" may be added after 1909.
Livesey, Powell & Co
Hanley, Staffordshire 1851 - 1866
One of the earliest manufacturers of "Asiatic Pheasants" ware. This and their successor company, Powell & Bishop, produced a small selection of transfer ware, also using other common patterns including "Willow", "Wild Rose" and "Abbey".
L P & Co
Myott Son & Co
Stoke, Cobridge and Hanley, Staffordshire 1898 - 1991
Stoke, Staffordshire 1898 - 1902
Staffordshire 1902 - 1946
Staffordshire 1947 - 1991
They operated at the Alexander Pottery, (Formerly G T Mountford) Stoke from 1898.
Retitled 'Myott-Meakin' from 1977
Taken over by Churchill China in 1991.
Myotts made art wares for Marcel Goldscheider from c.1940 to 1959.
Goldscheider was an Austrian refugee figure modeler.
Old Hall Earthenware Co Ltd
Hanley, Staffordshire 1861 - 1886
Old Hall Pottery ,
A prolific producer of earthenware, china, stoneware and parian. The first Pottery company in Staffordshire to form a Ltd Company. They were incorporated in March 1861. Took over the Old Hall Pottery from the distinguished Charles Meigh & Son. Continued some of the patterns and molds of the earlier company but also produced popular transfer ware patterns of the time. Reformed as the Old Hall Porcelain Co Ltd in 1886 -
1902. Charles Meigh is listed as the managing director in 1870.
Harrod as manager between 1873 and 1889.
Taylor Ashworth is listed as managing director in 1892.
O H E C
O H E C (L)
Powell & Bishop
Hanley, Staffordshire 1867 - 1878
Stafford Street Works and the Church Works, Hanley,
Partnership which rented space in various potteries around Hanley, continued to produce much the same wares as Powells earlier partnership Livesey, Powell & Co, but tended to produce more ironstone including the wonderful tea leaf pattern. They registered a Caduceus trade mark in 1876 which they carried into a new partnership at the Stafford St. Works trading as Powell, Bishop & Stonier
Livesley Powell & Co [1851-1866]
Powell, Bishop & Stonier [1878-1891]
P & B
P & B
POWELL & BISHOP
Podmore Walker & Co
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1835 - 1859
Well Street, Tunstall,
In 1860 the Amicable Street - Pinnox Works was continued by Wedgwood & Co
In c.1862 the Swan Bank works was continued by Beech & Hancock
The company is generally acknowledged as being the first producers of the "Asiatic Pheasants" pattern.
G.Podmore Walker & Co started trading in Tunstall in 1834 and are recorded as having two factories, Newfield and Tunstall by Ward in 1843. They took part of the Pinnox works in Amicable Street sharing with Edward Challinor and added the Swan Bank works in 1853,
previously vacated by Ralph Hall & Co four years earlier. Marine Archeology suggests some trading relationship between Podmore Walker and the Ralph Hall company particularly in the North American trade. The Podmore Walker partnership was expanded to include Enoch Wedgwood before the acquisition of the Swan Bank works and over the next 6 years went through a transitional period sometime trading as P.W.& Co, as P.W.&
W. and as WEDGWOOD before a complete restyling in 1860 as Wedgwood & Co with Enoch Wedgwood becoming the senior partner.
The company worked with earthenwares refining their product to a body that they marketed as Pearl Stone Ware which, more durable than earthenware would have been fired at a higher temperature. They also, in some patterns, added color to the glaze to sharpen the pattern.
The company produced a distinctive romantic style of designs lighter in color than most of
the earlier transferware not only in blue but other colors including the use of two tints, which demonstrates how active they were in the North America Trade, since the domestic market only really supported Blue transfer ware. They opened up markets for their products in both the US and Canada, their British American series specifically for the Canadian market and registered the pattern named "California" on April 2nd 1849.
The style of two of their patterns "Corean" and "Temple" were later echoed in the Art nouveaux Flow Blue patterns although at the time they were probably intended to look like ironstone. Their policy of originating new patterns meant that their expansion was not affected as some of their competitors were by the Copyright Act of 1842.
At the end of 1859 the Podmore Walker & Co partnership was dissolved and a new
partnership titled Wedgwood & Co was formed to carry on the business. They produced many of the earlier partnerships patterns under the new label of WEDGWOOD & CO. They took over the whole of the Unicorn and Pinnox works after E.Challinor left and in 1862 sold the old Ralph Hall works at Swan Bank to the Burslem potters of Beech, Hancock & Co.
Illustrations of Podmore Walker & Co's Patterns can be found at www.hudsonsantiques.co.uk
Tunstall & Burslem, Staffordshire 1859 - 1885
Ralph Hammersley & Son
Burslem, Staffordshire 1885 - 1905
Church Bank Pottery,
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1860 - 1883
Burslem, Staffordshire 1880 - 1905
Black Works ,
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1885 - 1888
Ralph Hammersley established his family business in Tunstall in 1860 at the Church Banks Works sharing with Beech & Hancock who moved out to take over the Swan Bank Works from the newly formed Wedgwood & Co two years later (1862) The space vacated by Beech Hancock was later occupied by Thomas Booth, another family business, until Ralph moved his production to the Black Works in Tunstall in 1880 (until 1885) and establishing
a more permanent base in Burslem in 1883 taking his son into partnership when they found themselves operating factories in the two towns. Possibly formed a Ltd. Company in their later years
Produced good quality earthenwares including "Asiatic Pheasants" wares at the Church Banks Works.
Ralph Hall & Co
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1814 - 1849
Swan Bank Works,
Ralph Hall worked in partnership with his brother John, originally at the Sytch Pottery in Burslem, but after 1811 Ralph took over Swan Banks Works at Tunstall and was responsible for production there. As early as 1814 it is suggested that they were more or less working independently, although the partnership was not dissolved until 1822. Ralph continued to trade in his own name until taking his son into partnership in 1836 and then
restyling the title again to R.Hall & Co in 1841. The company ceased trading c1849 and the Swan Banks Works were taken over by Podmore Walker & Co in 1853. The company was heavily involved in the North American market and there is evidence of cooperation with the Podmore Walker company in that respect and possibly in other respects. Ralph was responsible for the production of two major series of patterns, in blue, the "Select Views
Series" and the "Picturesque Views Series" as well as a number of other patterns of various styles and colors. They possibly had to change their source material after the Copyright Act of 1842.
R H & Co
Rowland & Marsellus Co New York; c. 1893 - 1938
Rowland & Marsellus were importers, wholesalers and retailers, especially of souvenir wares operating out of New York, flourished c.1893 -1938.
They worked with numerous United Kingdom pottery manufacturers and then sold the wares (with their R&M backstamp) to other distributors in the US. You might see a piece with the R&M mark, a porcelain manufacturer mark as well as a retailer mark such as a jewelry store.
Sefton & Brown
Ferrybridge, Yorkshire 1897 - 1919
The Ferrybridge Pottery had been in operation under several owners for over 100 years before Sefton & Brown took over the pottery from T & E.L. Poulson in 1897. They continued the tradition of producing domestic earthenware. Having survived the Great
War, the pottery was taken over by T.Brown & Sons in 1919
Tunstall,Stoke & Hanley, Staffordshire 1858 - 1937,
Tunstall, Staffs 1858 - 1870
Stoke, Staffs 1870 - 1935
Corona Pottery, as S. Hancock & Sons(Potters) Ltd
Hanley, Staffs 1935 - 1937
Sampson Hancock worked for some years in Tunstall before moving to Stoke in 1870, they were joined in the Bridge Street works by the Hancock & Whittingham partnership from 1873 - 1879 and also the partnership of Benjamin & Sampson Hancock from 1876 - 1881. In 1891 they restyled as Sampson Hancock & Sons until 1935 when the firm became an Ltd company and established themselves at the Corona works in Hanley.
Burslem, Staffordshire 1868 -
Union Bank or High Street Potteries
Burslem, Staffordshire Whittingham, Ford & Co 1868 - 1873
Burslem, Staffordshire Whittingham, Ford & Riley 1876 - 1882
Burslem, Staffordshire Ford & Riley 1882 - 1893
Burslem, Staffordshire Ford & Sons 1893 - 1908
Burslem, Staffordshire Ford & Sons Ltd 1908 - 1938
Burslem, Staffordshire Ford & Sons (Crownford) Ltd 1938 -
Thomas G Booth
Tunstall , Staffordshire 1876 - 1883
Church Bank Pottery, as Thomas Booth & Co
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1868 - 1872
Church Bank Pottery, as Thomas Booth & Son
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1872 - 1876
Church Bank Pottery, as Thomas G Booth
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1876 - 1883
Church Bank Pottery, as T.G.& F Booth
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1883 - 1891
Church Bank Pottery, as Booths (Ltd)
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1883 - 1891
Church Bank Pottery, as Booths (Ltd) and at other locations
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1891 - 1848
Hanley, as Booths & Colcloughs Ltd
Staffordshire 1948 - 1954
Thomas Booth and his sons in their various partnerships shared the Church Banks Works in Tunstall with Ralph Hammersley. In 1883 Hammersley moved his production to Burslem. Booth produced a similar quality earthenware as Ralph Hammersley, who also
produced the "Asiatic Pheasants" pattern with a harp cartouche mark at the Church Banks Works.
T G B
Thomas Hughes & Son
Longport, Burslem Staffordshire 1860 - 1957
Thomas Hughes Waterloo Road
Burslem, Staffordshire 1860 - 1876
Thomas Hughes Top Bridge Works
Burslem, Staffordshire 1872 - 1894
Thomas Hughes & Son Unicorn Pottery
Burslem, Staffordshire 1895 - 1910
Thomas Hughes & Son Ltd Unicorn Pottery
Burslem, Staffordshire 1910 - 1957
Arthur Wood & Sons Unicorn Pottery
Burslem, Staffordshire 1957 -
Unicorn Pottery Ltd Unicorn Pottery
Burslem, Staffordshire 1961 -
Thomas Hughes rented a factory in Burslem to establish his family business in 1860. Working in earthenware and ironstone, he produced domestic ware for daily use employing the common patterns of the day. The family business lasted almost 100 years until 1957 when they were taken over by Arthur Wood & Son. The Unicorn Pottery Ltd took part of the works in 1961.
Taylor & Kent Ltd
Longton, Staffordshire 1867 - ??
More often associated with porcelain and fine bone china this company was producing earthenware during the late Victorian period
Thomas, John & Joseph Mayer
Burslem, Staffordshire 1843 - 1855
Furlong Works and the Dale Hall Pottery
Burslem, Staffordshire 1843 - 1855
Exhibitors at the Great Exhibitions of 1851, 1853 and 1855 this company was highly regarded for the quality and range of their products. Heavily involved in the export trade to America this company produced earthenware, china and molded Parian wares. Always innovative, they were producing fine transferware, in many colors and a large number of flow-blue patterns.
T & R Boote
Burslem, Staffordshire 1842 - 1906
Waterloo Pottery, and other locations
Burslem, Staffordshire 1842 - 1906
Long established pottery making a range of products, eventually specializing in the manufacture of tiles. Closed the Waterloo Pottery in 1906 but continued to manufacture tiles elsewhere. Earlier had specialized in Parian Wares and domestic earthenware.
T. Rathbone & Co
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1898 - 1923
Soho Pottery; Tunstall, Staffordshire
Rathbone Smith & Co 1883 - 1897
Newfield Pottery; Tunstall, Staffordshire
T. Rathbone & Co 1898 - 1923
Originally in partnership with Smith established a new firm at the Newfield Pottery in
1898 specializing in domestic earthenware
Wood and Barker Ltd.
Wedgwood and Queen Street Potteries
Thomas Wood & Co 1885 - 1896
Queen Street Pottery
Thomas Wood & Sons 1896 - 1897
Queen Street Pottery
Wood & Barker Ltd 1897 - 1903
Manufacturers of domestic earthenware
Worthington & Harrop
Hanley, Staffordshire 1856 - 1873
Worthington & Harrop Dresden Works
Hanley, Staffordshire 1856 - 1873
William Harrop Dresden Works
Hanley, Staffordshire 1874 - 1879
Earthenware manufacturers, William Harrop continued the business on his own until 1879.
W.E.Oulsnam & Son
Tunstall & Burslem, Staffordshire 1872 - 1892
Oulsnam & Holdcroft High Street, Tunstall,
Staffordshire 1860 - 1871
W. E. Oulsnam & Son Furlong
Burslem, Staffordshire 1872- 1892
William Emmerson Oulsnam, one of the potteries Victorian entrepreneurs, traded as a tobacco dealer before creating a partnership with Holdcroft, producing earthenwares at Tunstall. He was also working as a crate maker at Greenfield at some point during this partnership. In 1872, having brought his son into the business, he moved his pottery operation to Burslem, without Holdcroft . By 1880, his son had become a partner. He died in 1882 but the firm survived another 12 years to 1892.
W.E.OULSNAM & SON
Wedgwood & Co (Ltd)
Tunstall, Staffordshire 1860 - 1965
Podmore Walker & Wedgwood Pinnox Works, and at other addresses
Staffordshire 1854- 1959
Wedgwood & Co Pinnox Works,
Staffordshire 1860 - 1965
Unicorn Works ( taken over by Hollinshead & Kirkham 1890 )
Great Woodland Street,
Staffordshire 1860 - 1890
Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd 1965 Pinnox Works, Amicable Street
Staffordshire 1965 - 1980
Enoch Wedgwood, a distant relative of the famous Josiah Wedgwood, joined the Podmore Walker partnership around 1850. By 1856 he was recognized as a senior partner
and included in the firms cartouche as Podmore Walker & Wedgwood. The old partnership was folded in 1859 and Enoch took his brother Jabez into a new partnership named Wedgwood & Co. The firm remained a family concern until 1900 when they floated as a Ltd company and control was effectively turned over. In 1965 the company was refloated as Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd but met with only limited success and were eventually
taken over by the Wedgwood Group as the subsidiary Unicorn Pottery in 1980.
Podmore Walker & Co had established strong export links, particularly in North America, with a series of innovative, contemporary and romantic patterns, which Wedgwood & Co continued to produce. Enoch Wedgwood's company built on this firms foundation of creating high quality domestic earthenwares and ironstones which became very popular
with importing companies. To establish and maintain the company, Enoch did numerous improvement between 1853 and 1861, renting the Swan Banks works for that period until they took over the whole of the Unicorn works in Great Woodland Street after Edward Challinor moved out. The modernized Unicorn and Pinnox Works were recognized by contemporaries as being some of the best facilities in the district.
By the late 1880's the company had lost their initial vigor and Hollinshead & Kirkham took over the Unicorn Works together with the "Asiatic Pheasants" copperplates. By 1900 the family lost control of the business when it was floated as a Ltd Company. The new money and management breathed new life into the company and, up to 1950, great efforts were put into regaining their former markets, largely by playing to the company's
strengths in producing a high quality product. Unfortunately when the company finally closed in 1965 the rescue package offered by Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) Ltd 1965 meant their actions were in vain as the wares of this company were largely cheap imitations, not a recipe for longevity, they were swallowed up in 1980 by the Wedgwood Group who rather anonymously operate the factory as a subsidiary called Unicorn Pottery producing similar products.